Get Organised with our Wedding Planning Timeline
Click the below infographic to enlarge.
Finally got that oh-so sweet ring on your finger? Hoorah! With all of those overwhelming feelings subsiding you may be now wondering “What’s next? Am I on track?” “What the HECK do I do know? Well, all you need is a little organisation. And what better way to get organised than with a checklist! Here’s what you need to do now through to your wedding day.
As soon as possible…
- Choose your wedding date
- Set the initial wedding budget and figure out if any relatives will be contributing to it
- Decide on the number of guests and draw up a guest list
- Start looking around possible venues for your reception and ceremony, and put down a provisional booking in your name with any you like
- Think about your wedding theme or style
- If you are hiring a wedding coordinator, this is a good time to do it (when you are in the early stages of planning)
12-6 months before getting hitched
- Think about what sort of music you would like and book your favourite band/entertainment
- Order your dress and bridal accessories
- Select and book your photographer and videographer
- Choose your florist
- Request menus and pricing from your caterer (usually at the venue of choice; if not, research an outside caterer)
- Select a wedding cake company and order your cake
- Find and order wedding stationery
- Post your save-the-date cards
- Select a honeymoon destination and book
- Choose your wedding party, including the best man, bridesmaids, ushers, flower girls, pageboys, etc.
- Start looking for your attendants’ outfits
4-6 months in advance
- Order stationery and favours (if not already done)
- Decide on wedding venue decorations
- Purchase thank you gifts for your bridesmaid and groomsmen
- Order wedding rings
- Allow time for a new passport, and notify your bank or building society of your name change
- Book your hairdresser and make-up artist
- Arrange for fittings for grooms, ushers, pageboy’s etc.
- Choose your wedding gift outlets and register
2-3 months ahead
- Meet with your officiant to discuss the ceremony
- Choose any hymns, music and readings for the ceremony
- Send out invitations, and make a list of acceptances and refusals. Go online and pick your favourite wedding invite.
- Check with your doctor if any vaccinations or medications are required for overseas honeymoon destinations
- Buy gifts for both sets of parents
- Make a trial make-up and hair appointment
- Book your wedding night’s hotel room (if different to reception venue)
2 months beforehand
- Arrange final fittings for wedding dress and bridesmaids’ outfits
- Any children should be measured up for hired outfits
- Prepare initial seating plans
- Formulate order of service cards’ verbiage and order them
- Send out thank you notes as gifts arrive
- Check in with the groom and best man to make sure they have organised their outfits
1 month until the big day
- Review seating plans as RSVPs come in
- Inform venue/caterer of final numbers
- Inform stationer of names for place cards and menu details if required
- Check all dress wear and accessories
- Arrange hen and stag parties
- Obtain your wedding license
2 weeks to go
- Confirm all arrangements with suppliers
- Make sure all speeches have been prepared
- Try on your full wedding outfit and practice walking in your shoes
- Order travellers cheques and currency for your honeymoon
- Enjoy your hen night and get your groom to hold his stag night in plenty of time
1 week to go
- Ensure best man has rings and cash for services to be paid on the wedding day
- Arrange rehearsal at the ceremony venue if required
- Confirm timings with florist, photographer, transport, etc.
- Type a list of any must-take shots and send it to your photographer
- Type up a list of favourite music for the DJ/band to play, including your first dance song
The day before…
- Pick up hired dress wear
- Pack overnight stay bags and/or going away bags
- Have a manicure
- Relax and get a good night’s sleep!
Your Wedding Day!
- Give yourself plenty of time to get ready—at least 4 hours
- Arrange a light snack to provide energy to get you through the day
- Enjoy as your wedding day unfolds fabulously after all that planning!
Embed this on your site
Have a burning question about your wedding checklist or timeline? We want to know! Post it here or on our Facebook page and we’ll get back to you in a jiffy!